Champions by Year
In 1995, at the age of 65, Lucille McDonnell officially retired … and started working harder than ever before. Empowered by a 40-year career in retail marketing, Lucille brought her skills and experience to the benefit of community organizations in the New Orleans area. From event planning to business networking and fundraising, she has raised thousands of dollars for local organizations through her energy and enthusiasm. Raising the bar for herself each and every year since retirement, Lucille McDonnell, now age 76, maintains a work schedule that would intimidate many young job seekers fresh out of college.
Consider that after her “retirement,” Lucille McDonnell …
- established the Friends of City Park gift shop, which funds ongoing park maintenance…
- initiated and produced the annual commemorative ornament to support City Park’s Celebration in the Oaks…
- established the Garden Shop, a source of funds for City Park’s Botanical Garden…
- sat on numerous boards including the Girl Scouts of America, the Fashion Group International, and the South Mississippi Aids Task Force.
- currently sits on boards of the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum, East Jefferson General Hospital Auxiliary and the Friends of City Park.
- chairs countless fundraising drives and committees including the Pharmacy Museum’s Public Relations and Auction Acquisition committees, the WYES-TV 12 Showboat Auction and Product Development for City Park.
- Continues to receive multiple recognitions and awards every year for her extraordinary volunteerism, achievement and fundraising.
After so many years of coordinating events and raising funds, Lucille has earned a regional reputation for excellence and boundless energy. She finds herself increasingly courted by new organizations. Ironically, after being recruited for a position with East Jefferson General Hospital, she has recently gone back to “work” in retail.
Lucille McDonnell has achieved excellence through her skills, her knowledge and her extensive network of business connections – and has used that wealth of experience to the benefit of our community.
Lucille McDonnell … Peoples Health Champion.